Monday, May 7, 2012

SCA-desires, wants, and priorities (two parts)



I would challenge those who have been in the SCA for more than five year, twenty years or even facing a golden anniversary of participation to aks ourselves those questions once more. What do I want from the SCA and where does the SCA sit on the list of my life's priorities.

Frequently, when meeting newcomers to the SCA, I ask them to describe their picture of the Middle Ages and what they hope to "get out of" and expierence in the SCA.  The viewpoints are varied, but all have carried a common theme.  The romanticism of Chivalric Ideal.  Bright banners and horns calling to announce the arrival or Royalty or to signal the start of battles.  Food of great variety to temp the palate.  The question, "What do you want from the SCA," is so much harder to answer.  Are you here to learn, to find frienship or even romance, recognition of your skills, to "live the dream," or some combination of it all.

Another question we should ask them is, "How involved do you want to be?"  This hobby of ours has the potential to become all consuming if we let it.  Should we be looking at newcomers and assuming they want to dive in and hold offices and help run events, or should we instead be giving them time to discover the SCA at their own pace. 

I asked myself why I joined the SCA in the first place.  The answer was easy.  I loved fairy tales and gowns and movies with castles and princesses. 

My first exposure to the SCA was a demo on my college campus.  I didn't get to go to the demo because of classes, but I heard there were people wearing amour and beatiful clothes, they danced and fought and sang!  I wanted to know more.  The next year I met this boy with beautiful eyes and we started dating.  He belonged to that group.  I fell in love...with the boy with the beautiful eyes and the SCA.   I wanted to do everything!  Okay, except the heavy armoured combat.  My first event was over in the Barony Marche of Debatable Lands...I think the theme was Eros vs. Agape, the different kinds of love.  It was a fairy tale day of fighting, feasting, and theater with dinner.  I was introduced to ladies working needlepoint and knitting, met knights and great fencers, and had brandied pears.

 I've been a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) for over two decades. In that time, I've have held the offices of Herald, Seneschal, and A&S officer. I have been a fencer, autocrat, feast-o-crat, and seamstress. I have dabbled in calligraphy, illumination, tablet weaving, knitting, fingerloop braiding, brewing and more.  Recognition and awards have come my way over the years, too.  It's a wonderful feeling when your peer acknowledge the work you've been doing, but mostly a simple, "Thanks!" warms my heart the most.

But were do I go from here?

...to be continued in a couple days

No comments: